1 a convex shape that narrows toward a point
2 the property possessed by a shape that narrows toward a point (as a wedge or cone)
3 a loosely woven cord (in a candle or oil lamp) that draws fuel by capillary action up into the flame [syn: wick]
1 diminish gradually; "Interested tapered off"
- German: Verjüngung
to dimish gradually
- Finnish: suipontua
Etymology 2From tape.
- In the context of "weaving": One who operates a tape machine.
- Someone who works with tape or tapes.
- a loser
Taper may refer to:
- Fishing rod tapers, a measure of the flexibility of a fishing rod
- In geometry, or in the casual description of a shaper or object, a gradual thinning or narrowing towards one end
- Machine taper, in machinery and engineering
- Mark Taper Forum, a theatre in the Los Angeles Music Center
- A ratio used in aeronautics (see Chord (aircraft))
- A thin candle is called a taper
- Philadelphia Tapers (also New York Tapers and Washington Tapers), a defunct professional basketball team
- Taper (cymbal), the reduction in thickness of a cymbal from center to rim
- Taper pin, used in body piercing and manufacturing
- Tapering (sports), a period of rest before competition
- A misspelling of Tapir, a large, pig-like mammal with a prehensile snout
Taper as a surname:
taper in German: Taper
abate, aculeate, acuminate, approach, barb, bate, bayberry candle, bougie, brand, butane lighter, candle, candlewick, center, centralize, cigarette lighter, close, close in, close up, close with, coarctation, come down, come together, concenter, concentralize, concentrate, confine, constrict, constriction, contract, contraction, converge, corpse candle, cuspidate, decline, decrease, diminish, dip, draw in, drop off, dwindle, ebb, edge, electric light bulb, fade, fall in with, fall off, farthing dip, file, fire, firebrand, flambeau, flame, flint, flint and steel, funnel, glim, go down, go in, grind, hone, igniter, illuminant, illuminator, incandescent body, intersect, lamp, lampwick, lantern, lessen, let up, light, light bulb, light source, lighter, limit, luminant, luminary, match, meet, moon, narrow, narrow the gap, narrowing, nip, oilstone, peter out, pinch, plummet, point, portfire, reduce, reset, restrict, run together, rush candle, rushlight, set, sharpen, slacken, slow down, slow up, slump, snape, source of light, sparker, spiculate, spill, spur, stars, straiten, strap, stricture, strop, subside, sun, tallow candle, tallow dip, taper off, tapering, thin, thin out, torch, unite, votary candle, wane, wax candle, weaken, whet, wick, wind down